Sustainability is at the heart of what we do, in every sense of the word.
Our desire to be sustainable influence the processes and materials we use, our design process, our business decisions and the way we live our lives outside of the studio.
At Ink & Spindle we take the abuse and wastage of the Earth’s finite natural resources very seriously. From the very beginning, when I&S was nothing more than a vague dream, we were certain we did not want to follow the well-worn, ‘cheap and easy’ route, choosing instead to attempt to forge a more ethical path forward within the usually very toxic, textile industry. This has proven difficult at times, and we have particularly struggled to find suppliers of viable, ethically produced, organic fabrics without tacking on the environmental cost of literally thousands of carbon miles. If you have any suggestions of local textile suppliers, please get in touch!
We believe that it's important to be as transparent as possible about sustainable and eco friendly practices. We're not perfect, and there are still elements of our business that we would like to make even more earth-friendly, but below is a list of practices we currently employ to minimise our impact on the Earth:
- We promote and use organic, sustainable & fair trade base cloths
- We design for longevity, not conforming to short term trends
- We use water based, solvent free inks
- We minimise water wastage by using high pressure to clean screens
- We have a water-board certified separation system to prevent foreign particles from entering waterways
- We use recycled paper, card and envelopes, and reuse boxes & packaging materials where possible
- We use biodegradable cello for packaging, as opposed to plastic
- And finally, we offset our carbon emissions through support of Carbon Neutral - yay!
Please note that this list is not static and we welcome any suggestions you may have to help us, as we are always looking for new and better ways to be sustainable. Please email us if you have a suggestion, question or comment!